1.25.2011

Savage Beauty

Online arts and social news network FlavorPill has listed the Metropolitan Museum of Art's upcoming Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition as a "must-see exhibition for 2011".
While I do love the guy and it will be amazing to see the retrospective, I have a couple of problems with the concept of the show.
1. It is sponsored by none other than the Alexander McQueen house of couture, which to me is shameless self-promotion in order to increase hype and elevate the brand to "museum-quality." 
2. The Costume Institute at the Met fails continuously to give the public important information regarding the history of their shows.
An example?? The Coco Chanel show in 2005 (sponsored by KARL LAGERFELD) failed to point out that the woman was a traitor during WWII in Europe. Fraternizing with her Nazi general boyfriend in order to live an easier lifestyle of glamour, wealth and domination.
Don't get me wrong, I love Chanel just as much as McQueen. It's the exploitation of a brand name controlled by the pretentious Met Museum.
WILL I STILL GO SEE IT? ABSOLUTELY.

No comments:

Post a Comment